Spotted Gum is very unique and probably the second most popular Australian timber. There is not another timber in the world like Spotted Gum. The colour varies widely between pale straw to chocolate brown, sometimes having an olive green or red tinge. Not only visually impressive, spotted gum is extremely hardy. The NSW variety is a little browner and lighter on average.
Timber is a natural material. Variation in appearance and properties is an enticing part of designing and building with real timber! Each fibre in each plank in each project is uniquely designed by nature. We strive in good faith to present you with the most accurate portrayal of what you can expect in your timber by using images, past job portfolios, detailed information and samples, the other part of this responsibility is advising you that your timber’s appearance WILL vary from these guides. Please use this information as a guide only.
Boral has been developing and producing timber products for well over a century and they remain one of the largest, most experienced and most trusted timber manufacturers in Australia. Boral offers most of the popular Australian timber species in a wide range of products including: flooring, decking, cladding and structural timber, distributed across domestic, international, residential and commercial markets.
• Boral Engineered Flooring Is Pre-Finished With Seven Layers Of 10% Matte UV Cured Acrylic Scratch Resistant Coating
• The 4mm Nominal Hardwood Top Layer Allows Resanding And Recoating For A Long Service Life
• The Boards Have A 4 Side Uniclic Profile For A Tight Board-To-Board Fit With A Textured Brushed Finish
• No Mess And Fumes From Sanding And Finishing
• Boral Engineered Flooring Can Be Glued Or ‘Floated’ Over A Level Sub-Floor Such As A Concrete Slab, Particleboard Or Plywood Sheeting Or Over Old Timber Floors Or Tiles
• A Variety Of Quality Underlays Can Be Installed With Boral Engineered Flooring To Provide A Range Of Flooring Solutions Such As Floor Leveling, Cushioning And Acoustic Properties
Timber has many natural features that tell the story of the living tree. The features seen in Spotted Gum are:
• Gum Veins & gum pockets
• Surface checking
• Burrs (aka burls)
Engineered floorboards are typically suitable for floating or direct fixing (gluing) over a flat, dry, waterproofed and structural subfloor such as plywood, particleboard, existing timber floorboards or concrete slabs. They come pre-finished with a click-lock joint system and are designed to be DIY friendly for most normal dwellings. NEVER INSTALL ENGINEERED HARDWOOD IN WET AREAS (BATHROOM / LAUNDRY) OR OUTDOORS. If you are unsure about installation, we encourage you to contact us with questions.
Timber is a truly renewable resource, a mature tree is harvested, a young tree grows in its place and a few decades later is ready for harvesting again. Australia’s vast forests are carefully, conservatively managed to ensure a responsible amount of wood is harvested. Engineered floorboards consist of a core made from either plantation plywood or Hevea, a recovery timber from rubberwood plantations. Timber uses a relatively small amount of energy during processing compared to other building materials like metals and concrete, the timber itself is a carbon storer and has a long working life.